Iowa Public Television’s High School Mentorship Program
In order to broaden opportunities for minority and female high school students in Iowa, Iowa Public Television (IPTV) is offering a television production mentorship program for summer 2017.
The unpaid mentorship program will give two students the opportunity to observe and gain hands-on experience in all aspects of media journalism including videography, lighting/set design, video editing, graphic design, web production and storytelling. Each student will shadow and assist IPTV personnel during the process of creating broadcast and online content.
Iowa Public Television’s High School Mentorship Program begins June 9, 2017 and runs through August 2, 2017. Students will have the opportunity to work with IPTV staff during the production of any number of the following television programs:
- Market to Market
- Iowa Girls High School Sports
- Iowa Ingredient
- Iowa Outdoors
- IPTV Kids Clubhouse
- Des Moines Metro Opera
Interested applicants should complete an Iowa Public Television Application for Employment and Applicant Survey, provide a letter of support from a school advisor or community leader, and write a one-page summary about themselves that outlines their interest in video production and their qualifications to be part of Iowa Public Television’s statewide television network team.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age
- Applicants must have completed their sophomore, junior or senior year of high school.
- Applicants must provide proof of age:
- driver’s instruction permit
- certified birth certificate issued by a government agency
- certified baptismal record showing date and place of birth and place of minor's baptism
- federal identification such as a Visa, “Green Card” or Passport
- physician's certification of minor’s age – see sample at the Division of Labor website
Materials should be submitted by May 8, 2017 to:
Iowa Public Television
PO Box 6450
Johnston, Iowa 50131
Applicants will be notified after May 22, 2017