Tune in for Festival 2017!
Special guests, new programs and viewer favorites will take center stage during Festival 2017, February 25-26, March 5-12 and 18-19 on statewide Iowa Public Television. This programming celebration—the network’s only extended pledge drive of the year—allows viewers to support the programming they enjoy. Special thank-you gifts, including tickets and exclusive items, will also be available. Pledge your support today!
Several guests will broadcast live from Iowa Public Television studios to present their programs including: Walter Blenko, Marianne Fons and TJ Lubinsky.
Festival programming will air on all three Iowa Public Television channels. Some highlights include:
- Blenko Glass: Creating Iowa Sunrise—Monday, March 6 at 6:30 p.m. Iowa Public Television follows retired architect Mel Shivvers’ journey from long-time Blenko Glass collector to first-time Blenko Glass creator. Then, go behind the scenes and follow the Blenko glass-making process at Blenko Glassworks in Milton, West Virginia.
- The Eagles of Decorah—Wednesday, March 8 at 6:30 p.m. Take a captivating look into the private lives of bald eagles that nest along the Mississippi River near Decorah, Iowa.
- Iowa Ingredient: Season 6 Sneak Peek—Friday, March 10 at 6:30 p.m. Explore the newest crop of Iowa ingredients during this sneak peek at season six with host Charity Nebbe.
- IPTV’s Iowa Stories Collection—Saturday, March 18 at 2 p.m. Tune in for this compilation of highlights from documentaries produced by IPTV between 2002 and 2015.
- P. Buckley Moss: The Lady Behind the Brush—Sunday, March 5 at 5:30 p.m. This special features footage of Pat Moss appearing at galleries in Carroll and Osceola, Iowa, in her home studio in St. Petersburg, Florida, and of the artist at work and connecting with her fans.
- Quilts of Valor II—Saturday, March 11 at 3:30 p.m. National quilting celebrities Alex Anderson, Mark Lipinski and Marianne Fons reunite to work on a new Quilt of Valor.
- Timeless Tractors: The Collectors—Sunday, March 5 at noon Explore the deep reverence tractor lovers share for the iron horses that ushered in a new era of farming.
Home and How-To
- Rick Steves’ Europe Travel Skills—Saturday, February 25 at 9 a.m. Rick shares practical advice on enjoying a fun, affordable and culturally broadening trip to Europe.
- Suze Orman’s Financial Solutions for You—Saturday, February 25 at 11 a.m. Suze Orman provides advice to help individual viewers “find financial solutions for you.”
Science & Nature
- Nature: Super Hummingbirds—Wednesday, March 8 at 8 p.m. High-speed camerawork and breakthrough science showcase the fast-paced world of hummingbirds.
- Best of Trains Around North America—Sunday, March 5 at 1:30 p.m. Favorite profiles and unforgettable stories of historic and scenic tourist railroads are showcased.
- Iowa Entrepreneur Season 2 Preview—Sunday, March 5 at 10:30 a.m. Tune in for a preview of some of the Iowa businesses featured in the second season.
Arts and Entertainment
- ’70s Soul Superstars (My Music)—Sunday, March 19 at 10:30 p.m. Patti LaBelle hosts an all-star reunion of the legends of 1970s Motown, R&B and soul.
- Andre Rieu Waltzing Forever—Sunday, March 12 at 7 p.m. Andre Rieu performs enchanting music in a stunning medieval town square in the Netherlands.
- Brit Floyd—The World’s Greatest Pin Floyd Show—Live!—Monday, March 6 at 9 p.m. Featuring new behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, this concert special celebrates the musical legacy of Pink Floyd in a truly spectacular fashion in front of sell out audiences in Liverpool, Red Rocks and Amsterdam.
- Carol Burnett’s Favorite Sketches—Thursday, March 9 at 10:30 p.m. Join Carol Burnett for her personally selected favorite moments from her long-running comedy series.
- Carpenters: Close to You (My Music Presents)—Saturday, March 18 at 7:30 p.m. The band’s career is traced. (They Long to Be) Close to You and Top of the World are featured.
- Celtic Woman: Destiny—Saturday, February 25 at 7 p.m. Ireland’s famed singing group performs fresh arrangements of their most spellbinding songs.
- Daniel O’Donnell: Back Home Again—Saturday, March 11 at 5 p.m. The quintessential Irish crooner performs his signature hits and traditional Irish tunes in Dublin.
- Doc Martin—Seven Grumpy Seasons—Thursday, March 9 at 9 p.m. A behind-the-scenes look at the hit series features interviews with producers and cast members.
- Doctor Who Classic Tom Baker Movies: City of Death—Saturday, March 18 at 11 p.m. The Doctor and Romana are enjoying a holiday in Paris, 1979, when they become aware of a fracture in time.
- Father Brown: The Owl of Minerva—Thursday, March 9 at 7 p.m. When Inspector Sullivan becomes a fugitive, he takes sanctuary in St. Mary’s and asks for help.
- Hamilton’s America—Sunday, March 5 at 3:30 p.m. The creation of pop culture Broadway phenomenon Hamilton and the history behind it are explored.
- The Highwaymen Live at Nassau Coliseum—Saturday, February 25 at 9 p.m. Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson shine in this 1990 performance.
- I Miss Downton Abbey—Sunday, March 5 at 9:40 p.m. Revisit treasured moments from the unforgettable series, including new behind-the-scenes clips.
- Il Volo Notte Magica—Wednesday, March 8 at 9:30 p.m. The superstar trio and Placido Domingo perform in Florence, Italy’s beautiful Santa Croce Square.
- The Lawrence Welk Show: Tribute to Jerome Kern—Saturday, March 11 at 6:30 p.m. You'll have a renewed appreciation for the beautiful melodies of Jerome Kern when you hear the band play Old Man River, I've Told Every Little Star and All the Things You Are.
- Magic Moments—The Best of ’50s Pop (My Music)—Saturday, February 25 at 5 p.m. The McGuire Sisters, The Lennon Sisters, The Chordettes, The Four Aces and more take the stage.
- Mercy Street: House of Bondage—Sunday, March 5 at 7 p.m. In the season two finale, the Greens suffer a set back after Antietam. Pinkerton’s inquiry heats up. Mary’s condition worsens.
- Midsomer Murders: The House in the Woods, Part 1—Thursday, March 9 at 8 p.m. Barnaby investigates the garrotting of house hunters outside a deserted, supposedly haunted, house.
- Red Green: Love at Possum Lodge—Saturday, February 25 at 10:30 p.m. Tune in for the last three episodes of the series that lead up to Harold’s wedding.
- Rock, Rhythm & Doo Wop—Sunday, March 12 at 10 p.m. Frankie Valli hosts performances by Little Richard, The Five Satins and more rock ‘n’ roll legends.
- Roy Orbison: Black & White Night 30—Tuesday, March 7 at 6:30 p.m. Celebrate the 30th anniversary of an iconic concert with an all-star cast, including Jackson Browne.
- This Land Is Your Land (My Music)—Sunday, February 26 at 1:30 p.m. The Smothers Brothers and Judy Collins host a look at the evolution of modern American folk music.
- Travis Tritt: A Man and His Guitar—Tuesday, March 7 at 9:30 p.m. The country music hit-maker performs with special guests at Tennessee’s historic Franklin Theater.
- Victoria on Masterpiece Marathon—Sunday, February 26 at 3 p.m. Tune in for an encore broadcast of the first six episodes back-to-back.
- Victoria on Masterpiece: Young England—Sunday, March 5 at 8 p.m. In the season finale, Victoria is on the verge of delivering her first child, and decides to venture out among her subjects, attracting both the devoted and demented. Stay tuned after the conclusion to hear cast members and creators share their favorite scenes and special moments of Victoria’s dramatic story.
Health & Lifestyle
- 28-Day Metabolism Makeover with Amy Myers, MD—Saturday, March 11 at 6:30 a.m. Healing and supporting your thyroid is one of the best ways to achieve optimal health.
- Age Reversed with Miranda Esmonde-White—Saturday, February 25 at 6 a.m. Classical Stretch host Miranda Esmonde- White offers valuable insights on how to combat the physical signs and consequences of aging.
- BrainFit: 50 Ways to Grow Your Brain with Daniel Amen, MD, and Tana Amen, RN—Saturday, February 25 at 3 p.m. In this program, Dr. Daniel Amen and his wife, Tana Amen, discuss 50 ways to grow your brain and share their best secrets to ignite your energy and focus at any age.
- Dr. David Perlmutter’s Whole Life Plan—Saturday, February 25 at 1 p.m. Dr. Perlmutter provides a plan that can help you improve your physical, mental and cognitive health.
- Eat to Live with Joel Fuhrman, MD—Saturday, February 25 at 7 a.m. Get the facts you need to lose weight and lower blood pressure and cholesterol without drugs.
- The Energy Weight Loss Solution with Neal Barnard, MD—Saturday, March 18 at 5:30 a.m. Discover the secrets for boosting energy and losing weight from a leading health advocate.
- Forever Painless with Miranda Esmonde-White—Saturday, March 18 at 7 a.m. A groundbreaking and eye-opening education on chronic pain and its causes is presented.
- Healing Mind with Dr. Martin Rossman—Sunday, March 19 at 5:30 a.m. This easy-to-use plan shows how to take control of your reactions to stress and anxiety.
- Meditation for All of Us—Sunday, March 5 at 6 a.m. Expert Stephan Bodian shows how to use meditation to reap the benefits of greater happiness.
- On the Psychiatrist’s Couch with Daniel Amen, MD—Sunday, February 26 at 11:30 a.m. One of the most popular psychiatrists in America, Dr. Daniel Amen has written 10 bestselling books.
This list provides just a sampling of the extensive programming offered during Festival 2017.