Iowa Pathways is an online learning environment for grades 5-12 that challenges students to create their own story of the state as they explore the people, places, events and ideas of Iowa. This award-winning website helps students choose topics that interest them, create questions to research, and examine relationships among Iowa concepts—past to present.
Iowa Pathways features several ways to explore Iowa history:
- Hundreds of interconnected articles introduce students to the big ideas and specific topics of Iowa’s past and present. Each article is supported with images, Web links and connections to related topics. Students are challenged to think about what they are reading and why it’s relevant. Students determine their own paths as they make associations between topics.
- Search a growing collection of images, videos, maps and other media.
- Explore Iowa history milestones and their connections to U.S. and world events. A variety of items in the timeline offer students opportunities to compare and contrast events across different themes and to place events in a broad context.
- Students are challenged by inquiry-based tasks as they make and interpret connections among the people, places, events and ideas of Iowa.
- Students and teachers can explore related links, activities and classroom resources.